Thursday, February 09, 2006

Another 10

The below is my friend David's best of list. His taste and enthusiasm has always been a good guide for my movie exploration, and we often watch movies together. Last year, as previously mentioned, I watched about 1/2 the # of movies I normally catch, which means I also watched a lot less movies with David. And I didn't join him in his Japanese and Naruse binge.

Because we frequently watch movies together, our mutual top/favorite lists typically share several movies in common. This year, however, reveals a fairly stark divergence. Even with the few flicks we did catch together, Nobody Knows in particular, our opinions split. I don't believe his list is preference ranked but Nobody Knows still is top 10 material for him. Yet I included Nobody Knows in my Not Honorable Enough, my sort of anti group (this category is in somewhat honor of Andy Sarris, who annually lists movies in a movies-others-like-but-he-didn't list). I don't even recall the ending that still haunts David. Nobody Knows may be a somewhat controversial diss by me, because among the mainstream critics as well as many lay viewers who were fortunate enough to catch the movie it was well regarded. I thought Nobody Knows was well done, but even freshly leaving the theater, I remember feeling underwhelmed.

Here's David.


Here's Just for Laughs 05 or my Top Asian films formulated in just 5 minutes for 05 . This year I decided to take a different approach. Instead of spending significant amounts of time thinking about all the films that I saw over the past year I decided to just give myself 5 minutes to formulate this top 10. The movies that came to mind were mostly Japanese and specifically Naruse-sensei's. It was in junior high when I first saw Seven Samurai and Mifune and I just love the fact that I'm still discovering cinematic masters like Naruse or legendary actresses like Takamine Hideko. All 35. No videos.

**********Possible Spoilers***********************

2005 Top 10

Daremo Shiranai - Nobody Knows (Kore-eda Hirokazu, 2004) - I'm still haunted by the musical interlude towards the end of the film. Music video masterpiece if you ask me. Plus the most convincing performances that I've ever seen from kids. Then again they were probably just being themselves.

A Family or Where Spring Comes Late (Yamada Yoji, 1970) - Chieko Baisho shines in this one as does Ozu regular Chishu Ryu. Heartbreaking.

Carmen Comes Home (Kinoshita,1951) - The first movie that I got to see Takamine! Little did I know at the time that I'll be seeing more of her in the Naruse films.

Lightning (Naruse Mikio,1952)

No Advice Today aka Doctor's Day Off (Shibuya Minoru, 1950)

Mother (Naruse Mikio, 1952) - Cecilia Cheung Pak-chi is a splitting image of Kyoko Kagawa! Another fine actress.

Sudden Rain (Naruse Mikio, 1956) - It was cool to see Setsuko Hara working with Naruse. Funny how in the Naruse films she does less smiling whereas with Ozu her character's are always smiling.

The Approach of Autumn (Naruse Mikio,1960) - The two kids in this film are great. Why can't Hollywood make movies like this where the kids aren't annoying.

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (Naruse Mikio,1960) - Naruse seemed to have taken to scope much more then Ozu and this is one is an excellent example. Takamine is just as beautiful in this one as in Carmen.

Yearning (Naruse Mikio, 1964) - Practically 2 movies in one with a beautifully shot which will stay with you forever.

Going over this list it just occurred to me that they are all pretty similar in that they are shomin-gekis or films about the working class/those in the struggle.

No comments: